[TriLUG] How do I change the allowed number of login attempts from 3 to 1

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 9 13:22:35 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 09:18, Ralph Blach wrote:
> I am running Redhat 9.0 on am amd x86.  Its a pretty basic system
> As the main login shell I run sshd, with ftp and telnet disabled.
>
> I know this is basic, but I looked for an hour on this and could not find it
> How do I change the number of login tries from 3 before a time out to 1.
>
> It would also be nice to change the time between tries to so.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chip

/etc/pam.d/system-auth
  password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3

Reading the PAM documents will take a good chunk of your time, but it is
worth the chunk if such things interest you... :-)

I also suggest you look at /etc/security for some really nifty controls
on login times etc...

HtH - Jon Carnes