[TriLUG] USB Drives - an (partial) answer.

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Tue Mar 9 14:39:32 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 09:06, Chris Knowles wrote:
> OK, I've been using a USB flash drive for some time.  Love that little
> bugger.  Have autofs setup to mount/unmount it on command, etc.
>
> However, I've also come into possession of a USB external HD.
>
> Which I've setup similarly.
>
> Now, everything is both hunky and dory if I plug in the flash first, and
> HD second.  But if I only want the HD, or plug the HD in first, all hell
> starts breaking loose.
>
> Is there a way to mark or name the drives so that when the HD gets
> plugged in it's always sdb and the flash is sda?
>
> CJK

OK, I've found a tip out there while I was browsing websites that
addresses this problem.

devlabel.

Under Fedora at least, the devlabel package seems to do the trick.

http://fedoranews.org/krishnan/tips/tip035.shtml

I've just finished plugging in one way, using devlabel to label the
devices, rebooting and plugging in the other way, and viola, it still
works.

Just thought I'd give back.

CJK
--