[TriLUG] Shorewall and iptable_nat

Owen Berry trilugbucket at berrybunch.net
Thu Mar 11 16:54:27 EST 2004

I recently installed shorewall on my box but don't seem to have covered
all the possible bases in terms of my kernel configuration. Shorewall
starts fine and seems to have done its job, but I get the following in
my system log:

modprobe: Can't locate module iptable_nat

The most likely cause of this is that I chose to exclude iptable_nat
(i.e. the module can't be found because it doesn't exist) when
configuring my kernel, mainly because I'm only wanting a firewall, not a
router.

Do I really need this module even if I'm not doing any routing?
If I leave this as is, will my firewall be less secure?
Any option within shorewall to turn off attempts to masquerade?

Thanks for any suggestions. I've googled and looked through the
documentation but didn't see what I was looking for.