[TriLUG] Shorewall and iptable_nat

Owen Berry trilugbucket at berrybunch.net
Thu Mar 11 22:44:59 EST 2004

I managed to figure out what is happening. Here's the answer for those
who are interested. Shorewall tests to see if the current system has NAT
capabilities by executing 'iptables -t nat -L -n' in the startup script,
and this is what causes the messages in my system log.

After detecting that there are no capabilities NAT, it gives error
messages if you try and specify anything that would cause something to
be created in the NAT table. I don't have anything so everything is
apparently running smoothly.

Commenting the unwanted modules out of the modules file only seems to do
something if the modules actually exist on the system. In this case they
don't and Shorewall picks that up before trying to load them.

Owen