[TriLUG] OT: compaq digital unix help

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Mar 12 09:45:53 EST 2004

Hi All-

This is sort of off topic (not a linux OS), but I'm in desperate need
of help.  A colleague of mine has an Compaq Digital Unix Workstation
(personal workstation 500au) that I need to get on the network
(primarily since the CDROM is broken).  A few (very stupid) questions,
since I'm new to this ancient beast and it's wicked slow ...

1.  This is sort of ridiculous, but I cannot figure out how to get ESC
on the keyboard to work.  It shares a home on the same key with ~ and `
.. but the is printed on the key as (ESC).  I've tried using ALT,
CONTROL, SHIFT, but cannot get it to work (might be important for use
in vi).  Any ideas?

2.  Anyone know what specific files I might need to edit to get the
network up and running (I am RTFM right now, but it's horribly
organized, but nicely stained in coffee).

3.  A disturbing message prints to the terminal when I open a new
window:  "Cannot send cookie to root, because user X is not in trusted
host database."  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Doug