[TriLUG] OT: compaq digital unix help

Dan trilug at daijin.nulluser.com
Fri Mar 12 09:52:39 EST 2004

--On Friday, March 12, 2004 09:45:53 AM -0500 Douglas Kojetin
<djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi All-
>
> This is sort of off topic (not a linux OS), but I'm in desperate need of
> help.  A colleague of mine has an Compaq Digital Unix Workstation
> (personal workstation 500au) that I need to get on the network (primarily
> since the CDROM is broken).  A few (very stupid) questions, since I'm new
> to this ancient beast and it's wicked slow ...
>
> 1.  This is sort of ridiculous, but I cannot figure out how to get ESC on
> the keyboard to work.  It shares a home on the same key with ~ and ` ..
> but the is printed on the key as (ESC).  I've tried using ALT, CONTROL,
> SHIFT, but cannot get it to work (might be important for use in vi).  Any
> ideas?

CTRL-[ is the escape key as well, this often works when the 'real' key
doesn't.

> 2.  Anyone know what specific files I might need to edit to get the
> network up and running (I am RTFM right now, but it's horribly organized,
> but nicely stained in coffee).

What version of Digital Unix is it?

> 3.  A disturbing message prints to the terminal when I open a new window:
> "Cannot send cookie to root, because user X is not in trusted host
> database."  Any thoughts?

'xhost +' will allow any system to connect to the box... it is not the
secure way to do it but will work until you get the other stuff
straightened out.

--
Dan