[TriLUG] latex section notes/outline in PDF viewing

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Mar 14 12:33:26 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 12:06, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> I've searched a bit for this (including google and my trusty 'A Guide
> to LaTeX' manual), but I figured someone out there could point me in
> the correct direction.  I'm using standard LaTeX packages/classes to
> produce PDF (using TeXShop), but when I view the output PDF, it lacks
> the outline of the document that I frequently see when viewing PDF
> files.  Does anyone know how to get LaTeX to use the
> section/subsection/etc titles as an outline for PDF viewing?

Hi Doug,

I'm sure theres more than one way to do it, but heres what we use to
improve the quality of our PDF output:

% This allows hyperlinks in PDF
% hyperref package and colors for hyperref package
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage[dvips]{hyperref}
\definecolor{darkgreen}{rgb}{0,0.4,0}
\definecolor{darkblue}{rgb}{0,0,0.4}
\definecolor{darkred}{rgb}{0.5,0,0}
\hypersetup{breaklinks=true,
  colorlinks=true,
  linkcolor=darkgreen,
  citecolor=darkblue,
  pagecolor=darkred,
  pdftitle={MITgcm Release 1 Documentation},
  pdfauthor={MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org},
  pdfkeywords={oceanography, ocean model, ...}
  }

and then the commands are:

  TEXINPUTS=.:::texinputs latex manual
  bibtex manual
  TEXINPUTS=.:::texinputs latex manual
  TEXINPUTS=.:::texinputs latex manual
  dvips -Pcmz -Pamz -o manual.ps manual.dvi
  ps2pdf -dMaxSubsetPct=100 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2   \
    -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true manual.ps  \
    manual.pdf

Also, we incorporate numerous URLs in our documents and produce HTML
output with latex2html.  Everything (including the source, the results,
the Makefiles, etc.) can be seen and downloaded at: http://mitgcm.org/

good luck & happy TeX-ing!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com