[TriLUG] Is there any way to examine video monitor status?

H Brett Bolen brettb at trilug.org
Wed Mar 17 09:00:29 EST 2004

I would like to test to see if the video monitors are
on/off/etc.

Is anybody aware of a way to monitor the video monitor?

I've looked at read-edid ( VBE/DDC signalling), but it
looks a little risky.  I don't know if it is safe to
call it very often for a long period of time.  This does
report of the monitor is turned on or off ( well, actually
it reports an error when trying to read the monitors
EDID block when it's power is off).

I also see that there is an x extension for dpms info, but
I do not know if this queries the monitor or the
xserver.

Does anybody have any other info, that would allow
me to detect if a monitor is off/on/connected/err?

--
b²

-- H Brett Bolen
-- TCNi