[TriLUG] Debian AMD64 anyone?

John Jones john at networkveterans.com
Thu Mar 18 14:01:07 EST 2004

Reginald,

I am not sure if this helps much, but I have had my dual Opteron system
since before June of 2003.  The only thing around at the time was
Mandrake X86-64 (or AMD64).  I loaded their beta on and everything went
fine.  I since have installed their release client, which went very
smooth and I have been running a major Postgres (7.4.1) database on it
for about 3 months now (full production).  This is just opinion, but
Mandrake seems to be in the lead on the X86-64 front (in terms of free
software), at least at the time I was looking.

It has been very stable, particularly for a hand built machine running a
release client package.  I beats the heck out of the Win2K/MS SQL 7
server that it replaced (SHEW!).

HTH.

John Jones

>From: Reginald Reed <reginald at cisco.com>
>Subject: [TriLUG] Debian AMD64 anyone?

 >If not that, then x86-64 Fedora Core release - anything other than
Windows at this point.