[TriLUG] Debian AMD64 anyone?

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Thu Mar 18 15:20:02 EST 2004

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:55:46AM -0500, Reginald Reed wrote:
>

>>Has anyone attempted an install yet?  I know its currently rough, but I
>>think I'm going to give it a shot on my new box (HP a450e).  If not
>>that, then x86-64 Fedora Core release - anything other than Windows at
>>this point.
>>

>http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/
>The February posts are informative. Beware this is, like most Debian
>installs, not something straight-forward for the uninitiated. You'll
>really have to WANT Debian on that box -- and it does work, and work
>it does beautifully.
>
>Go for it. Several people have been building pure64 pool; it's somewhere
>between 60 and 70% complete (compared to ia32 sid). I may have a new
>x86-64 laptop soon myself...

Thanks for the replies.  I saw the posts you mention on the mailing
list.  This will be a good way to help me keep my technical edge in
Linux, even though my Debian specific hacker prowess is what I consider
limited.  Years of Redhat and Mandrake have softened me (which is why I
started playing with Debian and *cringe* Gentoo last yr).

--Reggie