[TriLUG] Redhat 9 on Cyrix?

Rick DeNatale rick at denhaven2.homeip.net
Fri Mar 19 09:38:49 EST 2004

Pardon me for jumping right in.

I've been trying to install RH 9 on a box with a Cyrix processor. I
bought the distro last year, and installed it on the machine from whence
this e-mail is coming and have been running it with no problems.

I put together another machine out of junk I've got lying around with
the intent of moving some of my mail processing (like SpamAssassin
filtering) and other jobs to it. I first ran into a problem that the
boot disk wouldn't boot, and gave up after a while. I then ran across an
little yellow paper which came with the distro which mentioned a new
ISOs which solved problems on some processors including the Cyrix. I
found this on the redhat FTP site, which was swamped, and several other
mirrors. The disc1 iso (shrike-i386-disc1.iso) was dated September 3,
2003 and disk 2 and 3 were dated March 14 2003.

Figuring I only needed a new disc1 I downloaded it from the ibiblio
site. The hash matched, and I made a new boot diskette and went to town.
However the mediacheck failed. So I went and downloaded the iso again
from a duke mirror, but the same thing happened. Figuring I had nothing
to lose, I went ahead with the install anyway.  Everything seemed to be
going OK until it asked for Disc 2. I popped in the original Disc 2 from
my purchased set, and it spit it out with distaste saying it was the
wrong disk.

Okay, I now figured that I needed to get the corresponding discs 1 and
2, so I downloaded those from the duke site last night, checked the MD5
and burned a new disc 2, and popped it into the still waiting "patient"
which promptly spit that disk out saying that IT wasn't the right disc.

By now I've already got enough coasters with a Redhat 9 install logo on
them. I'd appreciate any sage advice.