[TriLUG] Red Hat Linux 9 on Cyrix?

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Fri Mar 19 15:26:05 EST 2004

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> The TriLUG servers aren't particularly fast for this anyway, but it's
> usable.  I agree that iBiblio is painfully slow.  Fatest local mirror is
> probably either the ones at Duke : http://redhat.dulug.duke.edu/ or NC
> State : http://mirror.physics.ncsu.edu .  Another of the fastest
> mirror's I've encountered is http://mirrors.usc.edu/ ... while not local
> at all, it's worth a try.   Also, try ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu .

Sounds like a job for netselect.  RPM available here
http://www.dragonstrider.com/~jtate/rpm/RPMS/i386/netselect-0.3-1.i386.rpm

It was built on Fedora Core 1, but should have no problem on RHL 9.  If
you want a SRPM just to be safe, get it from
http://www.dragonstrider.com/~jtate/rpm/SRPMS/netselect-0.3-1.src.rpm

What Netselect does is, given a list of mirrors, choose the one that is
closest (hops) and has the fastest ping times.  It doesn't check
download speeds, but it does a pretty good job picking the best mirror
anyway.

Joseph