[TriLUG] Tabling at RARSfest and DurhamFest, interest in Amanda demo on tape loader ?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Mar 19 18:52:29 EST 2004

Speaking of Amanda...  can anyone on the list comment on practical
experiences of backing up Windows machines w/ Amanda?  I have done some
cursory research (with more done by my counterpart at work who handles
more of the Winders specific admin stuff) into ways to do complete
backup and bare-metal restore of a Win2k Server.  The Amanda project has
available "nttar" which seems like a good solution on the surface for
handling backup and restore.  It's strong point is that it allows for
backup and restore of full NTFS file permissions, and it works nicely
from a command line in a traditional UNIXy fashion.  The places I have
found it lacking are it's inability to backup the registry in a safe
fashion - ala ntbackup's ability to dump the "System State".  It also
writes to it's own native output format (not tar as one might at first
believe), which is a minor but forgivable concern.  You could of course
get around this by dumping the system state with ntbackup to a file
right before you fire off the nttar backup, but that still leaves
ntbackup in the picture (which is, in my humble experience,
_ridiculously_ unreliable, especially if called from a command line
interface).

So I suppose to summarize, what backup and restore solutions for Windows
- that are call-able from (and store-able on) a *NIX platform, do TriLUG
members have positive experiences with?

My advance apologies to the anti-MS among us, if this strays a bit far
from a Linux topic.  :)

Aaron J.