[TriLUG] Tabling at RARSfest and DurhamFest, interest in Amanda demo on tape loader ?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Mar 19 23:30:22 EST 2004

it may not be exactly what you want, but for bare metal restores nothing
beats a full system image.  you can either use g4u to image disks or
partitions to a *nix ftp server, or boot knoppix and use dd/tar over
ssh.  granted, both of these require powering down the server for as
long as the backup takes and are manual in nature, but they yield a
perfect image backup ideal for total bare metal restores.  in
conjunction with a more lightweight daily backup plan for data
directories only, this might be useful.

maybe a trilug presentation on "linux backup strategies and techniques"
would be interesting?  there are scores of linux tools that can be
employed to backup data in one form or another (tar, dd, ssh/scp,
rsync, nfs, g4u, etc).  plus dedicated software tools like taper,
amanda, arkeia, storix, and so on.  not to mention linux raid, LVM,
tape drives, removable media...

jason