[TriLUG] nat and dhcp problem?

Scott Lundgren s_l at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 21 00:43:57 EST 2004

>From what I understand, I thought that you didn't need a gateway if you
>are planning to let your ISP handle it.  And since eth0 is gets its dhcp
>info from RoadRunner, I wouldn't be able to grab that info.  And

Well with NAT you kinda become the ISP since the debian box is doing NAT
work it is acting as the gateway from your internal 2 node (laptop + debain
box itself) network to the RR network. So you need to configure the laptop
so that all its traffic should be sent through the debian box. The
debian/NAT box will then happily figure out what traffic from the laptop is
destined for outside your internal network and send it out to RR's network
(& the internet).

As for setting up an internal DNS: Setting the debian/NAT box as the gateway
only informs the laptop where to send traffic, not how to resolve IPs n'
domains. Services are seperate from transport (The OSI model is a beautiful
thing). So you can a) set up DNS on the debian/NAT box and edit the laptop's
resolv.conf to be the debian/NAT box's IP (overkill) b) you can copy the
/etc/resolv.conf enteries from the debian/NAT box to the laptop and reuse
whatever DNS servers RR assigns to your debian box when it connects.

- SL