[TriLUG] ext3 surprise

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Mar 25 13:21:08 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 13:12, Brian Daniels wrote:

> My understanding of ext3 says this is a "can't happen" situation unless the
> underlying hardware fails.  But the underlying hardware is a SMART-capable
> IDE hd, and it insists all is well.
>
> Isn't the point of a journaling file system to guarantee that fsck's are
> unnecessary?  Any ext3 guru's on the list?

This is a common misconception about ext3, at least for the default
mode.  In most cases, the journal is set up in "ordered data" mode.

See this whitepaper from Red Hat for a discussion:
http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/ext3/

It says that "data=ordered (the default mode), guarantees that the data
is consistent with the file system; recently-written files will never
show up with garbage contents after a crash."

However, this doesn't mean that you're guaranteed that all writes are
successful.  You would need to change the option to "data=journal"
(which is slower) in order to get the protection you are expecting.

In other words, ext3 gave you the advantage that you knew for sure that
/sbin/install-info was toast.  You were guaranteed of knowing which
files were inconsistent and which were fine.  Without any journaling,
there might have been files that passed an fsck fine, but actually had
garbage data in them.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy