[TriLUG] USB memory key, removal, IO errors

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 25 14:29:31 EST 2004

Frye, Matthew wrote:

> After I umount my usb key, I receive IO errors when I pull it out.  See
> below:
(snippage)
> Is there a step I am missing?  Perhaps something I "should" be doing before
> I yank 'er out of the usb port?  I just don't like to ignore errors.
>
> Matt

This is a long shot, but it's worth asking.  I've noticed that after I
copy files to my USB key, the cp command returns right away.

Then when I do the umount, the file copying actually takes place.  Since
the nvram writing is slow, this can take several seconds.

Are you waiting for the umount command to complete before removing the key?

--
Scott C.