RTFM (was: VERPing and Personalization (was Re: [TriLUG] Ipta bles help))

Frye, Matthew Matthew.Frye at rexhealth.com
Fri Mar 26 15:53:15 EST 2004

>Still, if you are on this list, it is assumed you have at least
>a minimum amount of compentency with the web (after all, you signed
>up there).  If you haven't heard of Google by now, you must have been
>on the moon the last few years.  So, I just pointed out that that
>the links I gave, which explained it much better than I could have
>in a short e-mail message, were the first and fourth hits on a
>*single* *word* google search for VERP.  It doesn't get much simpler
>than that.

>Now, that said, there are times when I think RTFM is a good thing
>and times when a simple explanation is in order.  You have to figure
>out when's when and saying that one is never (or hardly ever)
>appropriate simplifies things too much.  Too much just giving the
>answer produces people who always want you to do their homework for
>them.  Teach a person to fish^H^H^H^Hsearch for themselves and they
>will be much better off.

I agree that some competency is assumed, and I agree that letting someone do
their own research is a good thing; teach and man to fish and all that.  The
difference is that you pointed someone toward a resource, or at least
suggested it, and that you let the person make their own discovery.  That
event, in itself, is much more rewarding for both parties.  What I object to
is RTFM by itself, and even the specific phrase.  It's more useful to say,
"Hey buddy, why don't you check out this resource," or "Hey, just google
it."  "Read The F'ing Manual" is just an ignorant way to communicate and, as
Brian stated, it can hurt their spirit for learning.

MPF