[TriLUG] RH9 tape device? Revisited

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 14:24:08 EST 2004

Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote:

> Thanks all... I'm still experiencing a problem...
>
> OK, well, I set export TAPE=/dev/nst0.
>
> If I try:
>
> #mt -f /dev/nst0 bsf 1
>
> I get "/dev/nst0: Input/output error". Gah!

One Suggestion.  You'll usually get an error from the device driver when
a message like this occurs.  You could try running "tail -f
/var/log/messages" in another session when you enter this command and see.

Did you try "tar tvf /dev/nst0" to see if your tar archive worked properly?

If you look at the mt man page, "stoptions" includes a no_wait state
that causes mt to return promptly rather than waiting for requested
operations to complete.  Could this be set?  "mt status" should list the
status bits that are set.

Good luck.

    Scott C.