[TriLUG] SCP acting funny

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Apr 5 14:06:39 EDT 2004

You can check to see if a shell is interactive or not by testing whether
or not PS1 is set, or seeing whether $- contains `i`.

 From the bash man page:

>        An interactive shell is one started without  non-option
> arguments  and
>        without  the  -c  option  whose standard input and output are
> both con-
>        nected to terminals (as determined by isatty(3)), or one
> started  with
>        the  -i  option.   PS1 is set and $- includes i if bash is
> interactive,
>        allowing a shell script or a startup file to test this state.

According to the first response when googling "scp bashrc" this behavior
changed with bash 2.02 when they added code to attempt to detect if ssh
shells were interactive or not, and set the "interactivity"
accordingly.  Thus, testing $PS1 or $- may or may not work properly.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to test it thoroughly at the moment.
Let us know how it turns out.

Aaron J.