[TriLUG] Hamfest thanks

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Apr 6 09:14:12 EDT 2004

Get me a logo!  :)  Once you are going to go to the trouble of
remastering the disc, changing things is really quite easy.  Remastering
involves decompressing the compressed filesystem, editing it to your
heart's content, then recompressing it and plugging it back in place on
the iso filesystem, then remastering the iso.  There are supposedly
canned scripts to do most of the heavy lifting now, just takes about 2.2
gigs of free disc space to decompress the image, and a goodly bit of
machine time to recompress it.

As a thought experiment, consider this... In the past I took and
stripped down a Knoppix distro so it would fit on a 650M CD-RW (no gui)
and boot up into a custom set of PERL scripts.  It's purpose was to run
a museum exhibit for the Natural Science Center in Greensboro (a tooth
exhibit).  It created a ram disc, copied over some wave files and
support files to the ram disc, and then ran entirely out of ram.  This
cut the need for a hard drive, floppy, or any other moving parts but the
fans, and the CD-ROM which didn't spin after boot up.  If the machine
ever breaks, just throw the disc in a new machine and you're good to
go!  :)  I even had it read the wave files and perl scripts from the
ISO, instead of from inside the compressed image, so that it was easy to
change the sounds or scripts with out having to dig through the
compressed image again.

Very cool things are possible with Knoppix as a base, and some creative
thinking.  We could easily make up a TriLUG branded disc with all the
power of a Knoppix disc, and some good links to local support, etc.
That would probably sell well at a Hamfest or any where else.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner