[TriLUG] VHS to digital video

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 10:05:05 EDT 2004

It might be overkill, but I recently purchased a Hauppauge PVR-250 card
to use with MythTv. This card accepts composite, S-Video and coax
inputs. It works fine with Linux. The card has a built-in mpeg encoder,
so you get mpeg captures straight from the card.
I got the card and MythTv working on a FC1 box running 2.6.4. It took a
little searching to find the right drivers for 2.6.4. Now I'm searching
for a case that won't look like crap in my entertainment center to
complete the project.

Ken

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 09:02, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, ALFRED JOHNSON wrote:
>
> > All you need is one of Panasonic's DVD recorders which you can purchase
> > at Circuit City. You just connect your VCR recorder into the front or
> > back of the unit (which incidentally doesn't even require the use of a
> > computer), put a blank DVD disk and record. If you would like to have a
> > TiVo machine without having to pay a monthly fee or even have to
> > connect a box up to the telephone, Panasonic also makes a DVD recorder
> > with an 80 gig hard drive installed. In fact, they are on sale for
> > around $500 at the Circuit City in Cary. Why tie up a computer when
> > there are stand alone devices you can use instead. --- Al Johnson.
>
> Thanks, that's a reasonable idea, but what I actually need is to put clips
> on the web. For example, I want the students in one class to watch a short
> video clip, then analyze it in terms of class readings. I'd like to have
> them watch it from the course website.
>
> What I ended up doing is buying this:
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10340442&hdwt=0&loc=101&sp=1
>
> I'll let y'all know how it works out.

> Andrew J Perrin - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
> Assistant Professor of Sociology, U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
> clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt