[TriLUG] Blocking Attachments in Exim/A really wack network admin

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Fri Apr 9 19:09:16 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 19:02, Joshua Gitlin wrote:
> Hey TriLUG,
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Should I care? is it worth my time to resolve this problem to
> appease one lazy sysadmin? I do have a few clients with online stores
> on my server that need to send emails to their customers. I don't want
> to prevent my customer's customer from getting their online order
> invoices, etc.

Should you care?  YES

Stopping sending those annoying blocked email messages back to people
who didn't send the original email due to forged from addresses.  You
are putting undue burden on everyone by not setting your server up to
drop these things.  I personally get REALLY annoyed when I get bounces
from people saying I've sent them a infected file (I run Linux for
email!).  He is not the Lazy Sysadmin, he is going the extra step for
his customers to try and stop the deluge hitting them by contacting you.

> 2. Is there any way, with Exim, to block messages with attachments like
> these while the SMTP session is still open, so that bounce messages
> never need to be sent?

Sorry, I don't know Exim, so can't help you.  Wish I could.

> 3. If #2 is not possible, can I just stop sending him  bounce messages?
> How would I do that in Exim?

Again, see answer to number 2.

--
David A. Cafaro <dac(at)cafaro.net>