[TriLUG] Blocking Attachments in Exim/A really wack network admin

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Sat Apr 10 10:09:50 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 00:24, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> David A. Cafaro said the following on 4/9/04 7:09 PM:
>
> At the very least you shouldn't be accepting the e-mail then bouncing it.
> I'm not sure about exim, but with postfix you can REJECT the e-mail
> at SMTP time.  This doesn't send any bounce e-mail at all, but instead just
> tells the sending party that you refuse to accept the e-mail.  Alternatively,
> postfix will let you just discard the e-mail, but be warned that
> silently discarding the e-mail goes against the SMTP spec.

Unfortunately using REJECT on these emails because they have viruses
will still cause a deluge of useless email info to victim parties.  They
may not be getting a warning that so and so email contains a virus,
instead they will get an email saying so and so email was rejected (an
email they never sent).  Again, just a lot of lost bandwidth and
confused users wondering why they are getting messages about emails they
never sent (I know this first hand by explaining often to users what has
happened, that it isn't them, and to ignore it, over and over..).  If
there is the ability to identify the virus emails and just dump them to
/dev/null, that is the best solution.  Maybe you could try tracing down
the relaying server and alert them?

--
David A. Cafaro <dac(at)cafaro.net>
Sys Admin to User: "You did what?!?"