[TriLUG] Green Hills calls Linux 'insecure' for defense

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Mon Apr 12 17:12:31 EDT 2004

hey -- anyone in the embedded market want to comment on this?  Green
Hills produces their own RTOS and is obviously tired of the competition
from Linux.  they proclaim that rogue nations such as China, Russia and
others are potentially putting dangerous back-door/malicious code into
Linux.

i am not a code contributor, so it is hard for me to gauge such
complaints, but i tend to feel that there are simply too many eyes on
the project to allow such security lapses.  unless all developers
decide at once to comply with changes that threatened the security of
the USA.  i'm not convinced that would happen.

http://www.eet.com/sys/news/
showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=DOULNYXURUXKKQSNDBCCKHY?articleID=18900949

thankfully, they interviewed some folks that don't seem to agree.
/drm
--
At least one embedded expert thought O'Dowd was overstating his case.
"I think it's pure FUD [fear, uncertainty and doubt]," said Rick