[TriLUG] [OT] [Off Topic] LED Digital Display

Byarlay, Wayne A. wab at purdue.edu
Thu Apr 15 09:44:27 EDT 2004

Hey, all!

I have in mind a dream computer which actually fits in my home
entertainment stereo stack. I want it to look slick & black in the
front, with a DVD drive, IR port for wireless kbd/mouse and Remote
Control, and to run MythTV (Of course it will be a Linux machine!)

For the front, I want a a complex display, like a stereo has, to display
stuff depending on what the machine is doing at the time: For instance,
if playing music, it might show the track name / CD info / Mp3 file info
/ level outputs. If watching a DVD, might display the chapter + time. If
you are working on the machine, maybe it could display the CPU temp,
network activity, CPU usage bar, etc.

Where could I possibly get a display like this? I realize that I'd have
to probably program drivers & stuff for it. But that's the FUN part! =)

Has anybody else ever done this? or know where I could get such a
complex LED (Not LCD, not bright enough unless it's backlit or color)?