[TriLUG] resolving a dependency

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 15 09:52:35 EDT 2004

(This entire e-mail assumes you are running Red Hat, WBEL, or some
other platform that has yum support).

YUM!!!  I see that Jon mentioned yum but I'd thought I'd add a bit on
how to use it, because once you start, you probably won't go back to
something other than yum, apt, up2date, etc.

First, see if you have yum on your system (and run these commands as
root):

# which yum

(mine is in /usr/bin/yum)

If you have yum installed on your system you can do a update en masse
by tying (this command will pull down new kernels, so keep that in
mind):

# yum -y update

The -y flag just tells yum to assume "yes" to any question.

If you want to see a list of everything you could possibly install with
yum run:

# yum list

You'll want to tee or more that output, under RH 9 yum lists 1376
packages you could install.

If you want to install something from the list simply type:

# yum install <package name>

Yum will take care of any dependancies for you.

Have fun!

Greg