[TriLUG] bad experience w/ tigerdirect.com

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Thu Apr 15 22:08:18 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Magnus Hedemark wrote:

> So I get the thing "home", open the box and start to marry the CPU to the
> moboard.  The cheap moboard doesn't support any processor so new as the
> 1.8GHz Duron, which I figured was sort of a bottom end processor.  It
> requires a 13.5 multiplier with 133MHz core clock speed.  The motherboard
> only goes to 12.5 multiplier.  Needless to say, it's going back.

Just to follow up, I took it back today.  They dragged their feet at first
and wanted me to exchange for another moboard but since I'm going to be
back in Philly tomorrow I don't want to be left holding the bag.  The
relented and gave me back my cash.

As for the suggestion to upgrade the BIOS, I'm not sure that this would
have been much of an improvement if the new BIOS only goes to 1800 as the
CPU I bought for it was supposed to just be a cheap bridge to something
faster in a couple months.  I figured I'd just get going for now with the
cheapo Duron and then upgrade to an Athlon XP down the road.  I'll just
spend real $$ on a name brand board when I get home.