[TriLUG] SPARC serial console and minicom

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Apr 19 11:39:04 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 11:23, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>   I've been working on a gentoo installation on a SUN Ultra1 that I have
> at home.  Serial cable console is the only way I can go, not having an
> appropiate set of KVM parts.  I have Minicom working just fine, except
> for one thing.  In many places through the installation you really need
> a full screen with proper editing, not just line mode, as well as some
> of the menus don't really work right.  Does anyone know how to set the
> TTY so it'll work right?  Am I missing something really basic?

I've had this problem with Aurora 1.0 as well, it's because the TUI
(text user interface) libraries haven't been totally debugged for serial
console operation.  My best advice unfortunately is to just work around
it; i.e., figure out where the cursor really is and do your best.  Maybe
you can just select a minimal install and worry about the rest of the
configuration/setup later after you're booted, too.

>   Alternately, does anyone know off hand the release schedules for any
> SPARC distros that are pending? I hear that Aurora is due, as well as
> possibly Fedora Core for SPARC.

Aurora and Fedora Core for SPARC are the same thing, according to
current plans.  However development seems to be slow as the only person
working on it is "spot" and he has been busy with work and family.  You
can follow more about this on aurora-sparc-devel -- see archives at
http://lists.auroralinux.org/pipermail/aurora-sparc-devel/

No release date or betas are currently planned as best as I can
determine.

--Jeremy