[TriLUG] OT - Satellite ISP

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Mon Apr 19 12:42:00 EDT 2004

I was using DirecPC for a while about 4 years ago, at the time it
required a dial-up uplink.  I was forced to use a Windows machine with
internet connection sharing to run the access software though.  There
was a company that actually had Linux access software, but it was around
$300 iirc, so I ended up using a windows box just for the connection and
shielding the rest of my home net with a Linux firewall.

DirecPC had download limits that changed dynamically based on the
current sat. load, even DirecPC tech support could not fully explain the
"rules" to me but basically, if you download more than $BYTES (iirc it
was around 150MB) in $TIME amount of time, you'd get knocked down to 56k
for a day or so.  Business customers had a higher threshold.  I believe
that the new satellite hardware does both upload and download through
the dish, but the FCC requires that a "certified" installer put it in.

btw, it was a 512k download...

If you have a DSL or Cable option, I'd avoid the satellite connection.
Otherwise, its much faster than dial up, with a few things to
consider...

Don't know if this helps, but just my $.02.

--mike

--
Michael Thompson <thompson at easternrad.com>