[TriLUG] Revision Controll Systems?

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Apr 19 13:41:51 EDT 2004

Kevin Flanagan said the following on 4/16/04 4:06 PM:

> So,  What are folks using, I've looked at CVS, and more recently Subversion.
>
> I have some restrictions that many here will hiss at though.
>

> I need to run it on a Windows 2000 server.  It must work with Windows 2000
> and XP workstations.  Try as I might, I can't get _a_ copy of any Linux
> flavor approved for a production application.  "We're studying that" is
> what comes from management.  Of course, we did get one of the infamous SCO
> letters.  Kind of funny when you consider that we don't have any Linux in
> production, that they want to sue us.....
>

> We have Systems Engineers, like me, Tech Writers, and a few programmers,
> that need revision control of C++ code, scripts, documents, etc.

You do know that Subversion works under windows don't you? (In addition
to Linux, OS X, and any of the *BSDs).  I'd definitely say that if you're
just setting up a new system, go with subversion.  They've fixed all the
major CVS annoyances and it's rock solid stable.  They'll also soon be
coming out with new features whereas CVS doesn't have any more development
going on.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton