[TriLUG] OT - Satellite ISP

Marty Ferguson marty at rtmx.net
Mon Apr 19 14:31:09 EDT 2004

Thanks, Michael, Ron

I know that cost/benefit has significantly improved.
The Hughes DW6000 is an integrated brouter, but I would
still place everything behind a firewall.  The unit is around
$600.  Ron This plus a linux router and squid would probably make
a significant difference in many cases, however we're up to a
significant portion of a kilobuck in parts plus linux box setup
by the time you would be finished.

The rates I've typically seen are about $60 per month,
but this would be partially offset by the $20 I'm now
paying to a dial-up ISP.  I've contacted TWC and Verizon,
with no hope of hi-speed ground based service on the horizon.

I think that VPNs over satellite are a problem due to repacketizing,
but $OPTIONS are available.  I don't need a VPN, so this it becomes
a non-issue for me.   However based on Ron's advice on latency, it
may be worthwhile looking at that option, or for a satphone option,
since they may be using some internal IPV6 QOS $OPTIONS depending
on subscription package.  I'll keep on looking.

For ISP problems, Ron, are your folks using Hughes or a 2nd tier reseller?

Marty