[TriLUG] OT: Retail Sharkso

ALFRED JOHNSON alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 20 02:53:30 EDT 2004

Changing the subject a bit, I have an "Intrex experience" to relate
which happened just today at the Cary store. The Cary store used to
have technicians who could work on Linux systems (they were NCSU
students).  I've been a satisfied customer at Intrex for many years, so
I asked Scott whether or not they had obtained another "Linux
technician" to work for their customers who prefer to run Linux (such
as myself). Scott replied that they "didn't because there weren't
enough customers asking for Linux repairs".  So the only thing they can
repair is WINDOZE  machines. Now I know that there are a lot of
Tri-luggers who have purchased their computers or computer parts at
Intrex. I'm suggesting that we bombard Scott suggesting that they get
at least one Linux technician who can work on our Intrex boxes.
At the moment Scott thinks that there aren't many Linux users buying
Intrex computers and parts !!!  As for the DVD prices, Compusa not only
has the cheapest blank DVD's all the time, they regularly have great
sales on the Compusa brand usually at holidays. Moreover, I have had
problems burning DVD-R's in my Panasonic machine.  When I sent it off
to Panasonic to be repaired, they informed me that the quality of DVD's
varies wildly. They even sent me a list of their experiences with
various brands of DVD's. They said that they have constantly had
problems with Memorex disks more than any other brand. They recommended
Fuji and Compusa at the top of their list. ---al Johnson
very expensive, but at the moment blank DVDs actually on sale (have
been for a week or two).  Right on the front page
(http://www.intrex.net/) - 10 packs - Buy two get one free.  I actually
heard a rumor today though, that some people have had reliability /
coaster issues with them, and since I'm rather stocked for DVD-Rs at
the moment I have yet to purchase any.  Anyone else have any practical
experience to share?