[TriLUG] OT: Finding/Notifying People with Worm-infested PC's

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Apr 21 10:59:27 EDT 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Hmmm... Too negative! You really have to at least try. You need to send
> the alert and as much info as you can gather easily.

Oh, I do.  If I sound pessimistic it is from years of notifying abuse@
contacts and not hearing back from a human being or noticing <72 hour
turnaround on killing the aggressive traffic.

Note this is primarily from the bigger broadband ISP's.  The little guys
are usually more on top of things (with some exceptions).

> Contact the ISP that feeds Granny her connection. The AUP for most ISP's
> gives them the right to cut Granny off if she doesn't respond to the
> complaint.  And believe me, the ISP does *not* want Granny's infected
> machine on their network.

Yeah.  It's a shame though that the ISP needs to deal with that burden.