[TriLUG] OT: Retail SharksoI

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 22 08:45:04 EDT 2004

Actually, my experience with Intrex has been right along these lines.
Last fall my motherboard and p/s got fried, but I didn't know whether it
was the video card, memory, cpu, mobo, p/s or  something else.  It just
wouldn't boot, and I don't have all those extra parts laying around to
swap out.  Intrex happily did this for my for $30, then told me my Intel
board was still under warranty and I should send it back.  I made out
for only $30 labor and $30 p/s.

Of course, this was a simple boot/no boot problem, no need to log in.
But they at least understood that and didn't give me the standard "we
don't support Linux" line when I brought it to them.

As far as getting them to actually support Linux as an OS, I don't think
a small retail shop like that could afford to pay a Linux employee just
for the occasional Linux customer.  The best thing they could do is just
keep themselves aware of the Hardware Compatibility lists and try to
keep at least one model for each piece of hardware that's stable on
Linux.  Part of being a Linux user is knowing what hardware has kernel
support and what doesn't.  Even if they _did_ do it, I don't think I'd
pay anyone to recompile my kernel.

-Tim

--
Timothy A. Chagnon <tchagnon at nc.rr.com>