[TriLUG] Machine crash

Liyun Yu yu at radonc.unc.edu
Thu Apr 22 10:46:00 EDT 2004

If the machine is 2.5 years old, the motherboard might not be exactly
the same, the BIOS, chips,  or firmware within the chips on the new
motherboard
might different than the old one.

I would suggest
1) Check the control panel -> system->hardware ->device Manager
and see if there is anything listed with a yellow question mark on the
list. Hit Delete if any
and reinstall the driver for that device by rebooting.
2) Change a different hdd to reinstall win2k OS might fix this problem;
3) Using the Windows 2000 boot cd and try to do the repair on the
current hdd might help.
4) Disable NAV and leave it without network connection see if that will
crash?
5) Take out all devices on the PCI and ISA bus then just leave the
machine running
see if that will not crash?
6) If you suspect the memory, you might take some out and just leave a
minimum there to
let the machine run, then add one more each time to see which one is bad.

I wish there is a toolbox to do all of these checking for wintel using
LINUX ;-)

Liyun

--
Liyun Yu, Ph. D./System Administrator/Dept of Radiation Oncology