[TriLUG] IPTables throughput limitations?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Apr 22 10:52:10 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 08:54, Roy Vestal wrote:
> Don't know if this helps, but...
>
> The TriLUG firewall used at meetings used to be a pentium 90, 40MB RAM, 2GB
> HDD, 2 10Mb PCMCIA NICS running Debian stable with iptables as the masq
> firewall. I also had Squid proxy on it and DHCPD. Before the PCMCIA slots
> died, we would have anywhere from 30-70 folks on it, depending on the
> meeting, and the notebook handled it fine. Logs showed very little cpu
> utilization, very few collisions, etc.
>
> We used it at InstallFests for FTP installs as well as outside traffic. No
> real problems.

Actually, we used it last year at the Durham Tech installfest and tried
to do some network installs through it.  It didn't fare so well; the
installs were pitifully slow, much slower than the 100MBit network on
both sides.  This wasn't really due to iptables though, but the
throughput limitations of the PCMCIA bus on that older laptop.

--Jeremy