[TriLUG] kernel panic with knoppix v3.3 and beer recipe

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 22 12:06:10 EDT 2004

We're going to have to have a discussion on mail quoting one
of these days :-).

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:32:36AM -0500, Marty Ferguson wrote:

> I did some research yesterday, and Triangle Unabashed Brewers (TRUB) at
> http://www.hbd.org/trub
> recommend the Durham Food Coop as a good source for ingredients.
> This may help hold down the expenses.
> >
> > > yield: 26 bottles of 22 oz each

572 oz total
48 ea. 12 oz. units

> > Can you estimate the total cost of consumables for the project?
> [Jim Ray sez:] me thinks $35

$0.73 per unit
6 ea. unit ext'd cost $4.38

Cost of 6 units of commercial equivalent $6.38-$7.38

Assuming making beer is fun and not work and that equipment cost is
ammortized over your remaining life (may it be long), your savings
per six pack is $2-$3.  Savings can be increased by using consumables
from DFC as noted above.

Assuming your drink a 6 pk per week, your savings amount to
$104-$156 per year.  The more you drink, the more you save.  It's
good to equate your product to the high-end brews in the marketplace
so your rate of savings is increased as well. Then add the sales tax
and income tax saved (unless of course you've figured out how to buy
beer with pre-tax dollars - and would you mind sharing if this is
what you do?) Probably worthwhile to hang a sign in the fermentaion
room stating, "This project saves our family $n in gross income
each year."

I've got my plan.
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.