[TriLUG] OT: Price Fixing and Fair Competition (Was Developer Rates)

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 23 10:43:06 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:40:12AM -0500, Marty Ferguson wrote:

> Here is the formula:
> o Maintain a rightous war on drugs
> o Bust a bunch of 21st century hippie potheads (Tommy Chong, for selling
> bongs)
> o Throw their a$$es in prisons which are operated by for-profit corporations
> (WhackANut)
> o Have them housed, fed and clothed at the taxpayer expense
> o Pay them less than minimum wage for running printing presses, help desks,
> etc.
> o Compel federal purchase contracts to buy from these operations
> o Force legitimate commercial operations out of business

Interesting when you look at the cummulative effect.  I thought you were
going to point out the use of prison labor in other countries.  You
expect that sort of thing in the 1700s, not the 21st century.  This is
a more sophisticated version.

For-profit prisons would give rise to a lobby that advocates more
frequent and longer sentences for lesser offenses. Elected judges -
often lacking for campaign funds - might find a ready source of
money from such a lobby.

I can't wait for BofA to hire inmates to run their help-desk :-).
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.