[TriLUG] System monitoring tool

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Apr 23 12:10:26 EDT 2004

Dan wrote:

> --On Friday, April 23, 2004 11:32:10 AM -0400 Ron Joffe
> <rjoffe at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for some suggestions for an open source tool (or set of
>> tools)  which would allow me to monitor a number of customer systems.
>

> I'm monitoring 75 systems using Nagios... it is working quite well so
> far.

I'd second Nagios - I've used BigBrother for a long time for these types
of tasks, but I too have developed a bit of a distaste for it's
origins.  If I were to do it again, from the ground up, it would be with
Nagios.

If you do go with BigBrother for what ever reasons, definitely
definitely definitely look into BBGen.  It's a rewrite of most of the
core functionality in C as opposed to shell scripts.  And in response to
the comments about BigBrother / BigSister's ability to call external
scripts - both can call any external program you like, in what ever
language you prefer.  I've written quite a few custom scripts for
monitoring unusual devices or circumstances (usually collections of
devices that need to be monitored as one aggregate event), but almost
everything normal you'd want to monitor (and even lots of things that
are abnormal) can be found on deadcat.net.

That's my 2 copper,
Aaron S. Joyner