[TriLUG] Running Apache on 2 ip addresses

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Apr 23 12:32:48 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 12:19, spain at ncssm.edu wrote:

> What is the best way to accomplish what I want to do?
>

> c)  or can 1 httpd daemon listen and serve vhosts across 2 different ip
> addresses?

You can definitely have Apache server multiple virtual hosts across
different NICs and IP addresses.  Apache's virtual hosting syntax in the
config file is well-defined for this type of setup.  You will need to
look at the Listen directive and the VirtualHost directives.    Don't
try to run multiple httpd daemons -- that will make everything MUCH too
hard!

Begin with this documentation:
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/
You will be running a combination of Name-Based Virtual Hosts and
IP-based virtual hosts it sounds like.

Another thing you could look into is the Webmin tool, with the
Virtualmin plugin.  It is supposed to automatically set up virtual host
situations like this.  Though I haven't worked with it myself, I've
heard good things.

Regards,
Jeremy Portzer