[TriLUG] Dual Booting

Brian A. Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Fri Apr 23 20:27:13 EDT 2004

You can use XP's bootloader to load linux, I've heard it puported..  But
I've never been successful at it.  (the one time I've tried it.. :-P)  It
takes a lot of trickery with imaging the /boot partition and referencing
that image in boot.ini...  I find it much easier to use GRUB as the
bootloader.

I don't know if you'll need to mess with boot.ini or not.  You might want to
just leave it as-is to begin with and see what happens.  My hunch is that
you may need to change any references to disk(0) to disk(1)..  If leaving it
as-is renders XP unbootable, you can just switch it back to master, boot
into XP, and make the necessary adjustments.

Note: The above advice amounts to little more than a semi-educated guess.
I'd love for someone else to pipe up and yea/nay it. :-)

Cheers and happy dual-booting,
~Brian