[TriLUG] Dual Booting

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Fri Apr 23 21:49:32 EDT 2004

Brian A. Henning wrote:
> You can use XP's bootloader to load linux, I've heard it puported..  But
> I've never been successful at it.  (the one time I've tried it.. :-P)  It
> takes a lot of trickery with imaging the /boot partition and referencing
> that image in boot.ini...  I find it much easier to use GRUB as the
> bootloader.

Blech.  This involves writing the kernel and initrd image to someplace
on your windows drive.  Upgrading your kernel then becomes a more
arduous process.  Grub with chainloader +1 is much better.

If you change which drive number it is, you will also have to modify
boot.ini to match.  Changing the drive from master to slave will cause
this to change.  Unfortunately there's no really good way to change this
from a linux box.