[TriLUG] I Feel Dirty (a confession)

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 27 21:51:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 01:44:11PM -0400, Ken Mink wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 11:59, Roy Vestal wrote:
> > Don't give up Ken! I'm running 3 different distros on 5 different notebooks.
> > ACPI works well for me!!!>
>
> ACPI is very implementation dependent. Each vendor does their own little
> tweaks, at least that's what I've gotten out of reading about it. Since
> I take my machine back in forth to work every day, I'd like to be able
> to suspend it, go home and resume and for it to be able to deal with the
> network change cleanly. I've never been able to get suspend and resume
> to work on my HP laptop. I've spent a lot of time on it and tried a
> number of different kernels and patches. As I said, fighting with those
> kinds of issues isn't what I need to be spending my time on.
>
> Some of the other features of ACPI, CPU throttling, heat monitoring, etc
> seem to work okay. I am running 2.6.5 here. The ACPI support in 2.6 is
> much better than in 2.4.

I can sympathize.  I have not restored the LInux part on my Toshiba
since the mobo got replaced.  The power management under XP is pretty
darn good.  IF you are working and get distracted for 6 hours, when
you come back, you've either still got battery or everything has been
stored away for you until you get some AC or another battery. I can
close the lid and the machine suspends and resumes reliably later.

If I had time, I'd tinker with ACPI to see if I could get the same
performance from it.  I've read the that the ACPI BIOS in the past
were pretty borked.  Only recently have they been improved.  Since
Toshiba is one of the main contributors to ACPI, I have high hopes
that my new laptop has a well-done ACPI BIOS and will therefore
work well under 2.6.x.

I'll eventually restore the Linux part and use it under AC power until I
can get around to tinkering with ACPI.

Here's the thing that sets me apart from you: I rarely use the laptop.
I pull it out once or twice a month to work on a schedule or a
plan document - that's it.  It's become an expensive dust
collector, an oversized PDA. I spend most of my time on Linux boxes.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.