[TriLUG] I Feel Dirty (a confession)

Bill Vinson bill at vinsonweb.com
Tue Apr 27 23:11:45 EDT 2004

Ken,

You do not need to feel bad about this. A good developer (or engineer,
etc.) uses the right tool for the right job.  Linux is not always the
best choice for all situations or for all people.  This is reality and
it is never good for anyone to ignore the shortcomings of a product.
You have found something that simply does not work as well in Linux. In
truthfulness, from what I have seen, the Mac OS X sleep functionality
is better and faster (sleeping and waking) than any other OS I have
ever seen.  I wish Mac OS X had the native package handling
capabilities that Linux does.  That is only one of the areas I wish
Apple would improve.  Windows, as frightening as it may be, is better
at some things (I am hard pressed to think of any at the moment, but I
am sure at least one exists).  Just because at the moment Linux is not
meeting all needs for you, this doesn't mean it will always be the
case, but at this point it is. Accept reality and then if you desire,
work to change it :)

Bill (User of Mac OS X, OpenBSD, Linux, and occasionally Windows)
--
Bill Vinson | bill(at)vinsonweb.com | http://vinsonweb.com
GPG Fingerprint: 19C6 EC97 DFED 5E46 B19B  2143 D7DE 6EEB 6D4C C23D