Nominating Jon Carnes (was Re: [TriLUG] Nomating Jeremy Portzer)

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Wed Apr 28 08:37:44 EDT 2004

Jon Carnes [jonc at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> Well all the slackers on the current Steering Committee have already
> thrown their hats into the ring. So I'm nominating (and hopefully he'll
> accept) Jeremy Portzer for one more round of TriLUG leadership.

I've actually decided to remove my hat from the ring.

> Some items that we should all consider when voting this year are:
>  - the disappearance of our TriLUG classes and Seminars.
>  - the paucity of our Installfests
>  - the lack of follow through in courting our sponsors and our corporate
> donations.

And here I nominate Jon Carnes.

> At the very least, I would love to see some follow through on bringing
> back our monthly TriLUG classes and topic seminars.  These are an
> invaluable asset that has been MIA for the past year.

The clases were never monthly.  After we saw the response, we tried to
make it happen, though.  But you'd be amazed at how hard it is to find a
-reliable- space to hold meetings that fits all of our requirements.
When we thought we finally had one, IBM pulled the rug out from under us
and told us we'd have to pay somewhere around $200 for every time we
used their space.  Another space fell through do to one of our members
being laid off, and the SAS space is one we would only allowed to use
once a year.  Please, don't think for a moment we haven't tried to get
the classes going again.  Everyone on the steering committee has been
involved in the effort.  Sometimes things just don't come together.  But
why don't you run for the steering committee and fix it?  Alternatively,
the steering committee doesn't -have- to be the ones organizing the
classes.  A TriLUG member could step forward and take over.

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak