[TriLUG] Well, now that I haven't paid attention to the to field....

Maria Winslow maria.winslow at windows-linux.com
Wed Apr 28 11:30:02 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 10:53 am, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> > Here's my list:
> >      Red Hat desktop
>
> I would suggest that you revise that to be "Red Hat Enterprise Linux"
> which is the current Red Hat product with Red Hat in the name.  Red Hat
> Linux (such as version 9) is no longer being produced so it would make
> your book look kinda outdated to include that.

You are absolutely right, and I thought that you all would assume that.

> >      Lindows desktop
>
> This is now Linspire.

Actually, its Linspire outside the US, but still Lindows in the US. The
reasoning is that they have worked to create the brand, and want to continue
to use it as long as it appears safe to do so in the US. Good point, though,
and since this happened after I wrote that part, I need to explain it.

> >      SUSE desktop
> >      Debian desktop
>
> Perhaps consider Knoppix or Gnoppix as Debian variants worth showing?

Please do send a Knoppix image!

> >      Fedora Core desktop
>
> Why not Mandrake since you have such a big list otherwise?

For the record, I have asked the commercial distros to provide images, and
Mandrake is the only one that responded. So don't worry, they are included.

> >      Sun Java Desktop desktop
> >      StarOffice, three or four views
> >      Evolution, two or three views
> >      Ximian Red Carpet, admin view