[TriLUG] vxworks under linux

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 12:23:15 EDT 2004

Thought I responded, but it didn't show up AFAIK.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:46:06AM -0400, john mitchell wrote:
> Mike,
>   I am using two books on embedded linux to some development work on an
> old PC-104 system (486DX5, 4 Meg Ram, no video):
>
> 1) Building Embedded Linux Systems. Yaghmour, O'Reilly.
Got it.
> 2) Embedded Linux HW, SW, and interfacing. Hollabaugh, Addison-wesley.
Will check it out.

> The two books together discuss building the GNU toolchain and cross
> compiling in great detail (one seems to cover areas the other misses!).
> (the second book is worth it for the script files that come with it).

That's right.  THanks for reminding me.  We were looking at RTLInux vs
VxWorks.  The WRS promise delivery has not been all that great and
now I wish we went with RTLinux.

> Both discuss the root file system and have working code to build them.

This won't help with VxWorks unfortunately.

After having read the O'Reilly book
we decided the ramp time for RT LInux was more than we could afford
at the time.  The VxWorks ramp time was short but the course has
flattened out now.  I believe that with RT LInux the capability
curve climbs longer because you have the source and are never
restricted.

If I had been familiar with RT Linux before this
project then I could have successfully argued against VxWorks.

Your efforts with RT LInux are worth the time and effort.  You can
sell those skills.  Linux will easily roll over the commercial
r-t O/S going forward.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.