[TriLUG] Dual Booting

davis davis at skink.net
Wed Apr 28 15:30:05 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 03:25:09PM -0400, joehome at wisdom.myftp.org wrote:
> If you are using lilo as your boot manager:
> boot linux. Mount the you windows C drive partition.
> It will be a /dev/hddriveletterpartitionnumber
> You will need NTFS compiled into your kernel for this to work.
> Once you have done that:
> Edit your /etc/lilo.conf and add:
> other=/dev/hde1
>   label="WinXP(hdxx)"

I believe he also needs the option to make the drive look like it is
the original master as well?  ie he originally created the OS with it
as a master and now he wants to move it to the slave.  I'm thinking of
this option:

map-drive=<num>
Maps BIOS calls for the specified drive to the device code specified on the next line as to=<num>. This mapping is useful for booting operating systems, such as DOS, from the second hard drive. The following, swaps the C: and D: drives,

   map-drive=0x80
      to=0x81
   map-drive=0x81
      to=0x80

Try adding the above stanza to your "other" clause per Joe's config.

--
Happy Trails

John F. Davis                                            Durham, North Carolina
Airhead BMW Club #6334 1992 R100GSPD                     http://www.skink.net