[TriLUG] DDS drive

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 29 11:35:59 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:22:42AM -0400, Jim Ray wrote:
> > The tape is marked as follows:
> >
> > HP
> > DDS-1 Data Cartridge
> > Compressed Capacity: 4GB
> > Order Number-C5706A
> [Jim Ray sez:] I've also got a loaner server (Compaq Proliant 850R) with a
> Sony SDT7000 DDS2 unit that you can use to load OS of choice if you can help
> me get my Red Hat 9 box receiving faxes.  I have a sneaky suspicion that
> winders ain't gonna get it.

Actually, all I want to do is prove that the tarball files on the tape
(created with some unknown flavor of Unix) can be read and untarred.
If they can then I'll know if I should buy a tape drive and try to
salvage the content on this tape and others like it.

If anybody has the tape drive set up and ready to read and has a few
minutes to check out this tape of mine, then I'll be glad to trade beer,
lunch, 12 y/o Scotch, etc. Looks like there are several offers on the table (Jim,
Jeremy, David) so I'll work those off-list. Thanks for the offers.

Sorry, I don't do faxes and I don't do printers often
enough to be good at it.

I tried and failed with Hylafax.  I used some other package to do
outbound faxes on Linux once but it was pretty blunt instrument.
Now I scan paper into .pdf and send them attached to email. Voila,
no more outbound email.

What I do for inbound faxes (all 3/year that I get) is use a free j2
account and filter the spam I get from them - which is not too much
compared to the Nigerians.

If you've got a regular flow of faxes, I'd just go for an appliance.
Alternative to that is a j2 local number. If you've get infrequent faxes,
then free j2 is the way to go.  I think Hylafax might be a good choice
if you're setting up a dedicated server for an mid/large office.

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.